"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Me? A serial killer?

Relating to Trisha's book reviewed below, I want to confess my own adolescent trauma. I know from teen heartache. Yes, I could have chosen some better paths during my youth, but my mistakes weren't those of excess ... unless one includes excessively introverted. I was ruled by fear, governed by dread of anyone finding out who I really was. Shame is an awful load for an adolescent boy to carry, yet, I had overtly done nothing worthy of such shame.
        As a "good" Catholic boy, I constantly bore a super-human load of guilt for my "impure thoughts." Fortunately for the world, I was too timid to act out any of my dark fantasies.
        When I came to the Lord, He took away my sin, but losing that sense of shame is another issue. Of course, like all of life's trials, even that spectre can contribute to God's glory. Due to His infinite grace and wisdom, I still fully understand my unregenerate capacity for evil. Without Jesus in my life, I could potentially become another Jack the Ripper, Jefrey Dahmer, or Ted Bundy.
        Am I really so terrible? Fact is, anyone without Christ has the potential of perpetrating the greatest evil. Praise God, my greatest fear today is of doing anything that might become a reproach to my Father.

No comments: