"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Violette Between

      Violette Between was not an easy book to read. It is structured so unconventionally that, at first, I didn't think I'd like it. But Alison Strobel's deeply personal style captured my interest and imagination. She kept me reading by eliciting a sympathetic emotional reaction within me.
      Allison captured the essence of the setting with few words, placing me smack in the middle of the action. Her knowledge of the human mind and the defensive tricks it can play locked me into Violette's inner world, right along with her.
      The further I read the more involved I was in Violette's and Christian's lives. Yes, and even Violette's deceased husband Saul became a sympathetic character, clearly demonstrating her reason for the inner conflict that kept her from getting on with her life.
      Genre romance novels are a dime-a-peck, and literary novels are shunned for their multi-leveled, complex characterizations, and often bizarre use of language for artistic effect. But Violette Between combines convincing, fully developed characters with artistic-but-entertaining prose for a read you won't soon forget.

No comments: