"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

MEA CULPA

I beg my vast audience--yeah, you, over there in front of that computer--to forgive my laxity, or laxative, whichever applies. My excuse is, "I've been incredibly busy editing a friend's book, which was on a short deadline, so I couldn't break away to my own stuff." Now, isn't that an excuse to pull the ole hartstrings? So today I was about to offer that excuse and be done with it, but I read Robin Parrish's INFUSE magazine newsletter editorial about breaking loose and following the dream God gave you. I simply had to send Robin my thoughts, which ultimately wound up here, at my mind's dumping ground. I was about to send Robin's message to my son-in-law, 'cause messages should always be applied to "them" first, but I realized my son-in-law sometimes jumps the track he's on, in favor of new pursuits. In fact, most of us--yeah, myself included--tend to jump the track more often than we fail to pull out of the station to begin with. It's easy to succumb to the seductive "new" when the "now" seems difficult. We all need to ask one question before we chase our dream: What put me on this track? Did I believe God directed me this way? (okay, that's two questions, but hold your seat!) Is this dream on hold, or did I reach God's goal for me here? Before we begin something new, regardless how "God ordained" it seems, and the operative term is seems, we need to finish what we last started. Robin's encouraging message is great for those who are searching for God's next step, but we must first finish the step we're on, lest we risk a nasty crash from jumping God's track. Before I leave, I must recommend INFUSE magazine for anyone who enjoys popular culture while following the Way. With careful consideration, they can be compatible. And if God directs, a thorough understanding and appreciation of Pop Culture can augment one's ministry. Jim

No comments: