"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Dear Abba, Father

I am distressed by my own worldly affections and appetites, and also those of my brethren. Surely, following the world’s popular culture and fashions can only serve to dilute my love for your ways and your Word, distracting me from the holy life, perfectly reconciled to you, that Jesus died to give us.

Is an act sinful only if we recognize its sinfulness and do it anyway? Isn’t plugging our ears and blinding our eyes to your Word’s exhortation also sinful? Father, we dutifully read our daily Scripture and devotionals, but do we first open our minds and hearts to receive the truths that you want to inculcate into each of us, personally, as part of our inner motivation?

Father, am I guilty of aiming my life’s works low enough to please myself, while hoping I’m aiming high enough to please you? Do I take your graceful, lovingkindness toward me for granted while I pursue the pleasures of this life?

Father, Abba, restore unto me the joy of my salvation that you bought with Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. Break my stiff-necked spirit and my hardened heart, so I will once again become supple clay in your hands.

In Jesus’ Name I make this prayer.

 

No comments: