"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Review of ON GUARD; Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision by William Lane Craig
            The author of Reasonable Faith, William Lane Craig, is all about reason. So when he gets down to the art of Christian apologetics, he makes our faith seem downright reasonable.             Craig, Research Professor of Philosophy at the Talbot School of Theology, is also all about debate, or at least equipping Christ-followers to intelligently discuss our reason for following Christ. Now, don't expect Bible-thumping. Though he uses lots of Scripture references, his realization that non-believers disrespect the Bible's authority causes him to seek other avenues(did I say, reason?) as well. Employing thoughts from philosophers, scientists and theologians, Craig has assembled a defensive manual for soldiers of the cross, rife with inescapable logic.             Therein lies my one issue with this excellent resource: Some of the logic is so inescapable that it escapes me. Alright, Craig is brilliant, but in a couple of spots he leaves me scratching my head(despite my dandruff). However, my wife Nancy, who in all modesty I must admit is not my intellectual equal--she's smarter than I am--gets some of Craig's points and explains them to me.             Bottom line? If you truly wish to defend your faith with people who think they're smarter than you, get this book. Then read it. Then study it. Believe what I've found: Knowing why you believe is as liberating as the believing itself.

No comments: