"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sure as Hell, I Don’t Belong In Heaven




I was born a loser, like all who came before me,
Took a while to find out just how bad.
Came of age, like all my peers, then the pleasures found me.
Found in them a joy I never had.
Joy on joy assailed me, wave on wave they came,
Thought my fun would never hit the end.
“Truth,” my loins oft told me, “Truth comes in the game.
Truth you find when goodness you must bend.”


Sure as hell, I don’t belong in heaven,
It’s the place that God made just for saints.
Justice says I’ll never glimpse of heaven.
Hell’s the place for me and all the ain’ts.


Life gave more than its fair share of turning,
Left and right, up and o’er the hill.
Fast track vanished, left me with its yearning.
Wants left vacant—oh yes, and the bill.

Not a hint of what was on that joy-tab,
Figured I could pay it with good works.
Never counted on a greater Truth-jab
From a two-edged sword designed for jerks.


Sure as hell, I don’t belong in heaven,
It’s the place that God made just for saints.
Justice says I’ll never glimpse of heaven.
Hell’s the place for me and all the ain’ts.


God was always some humongous white-beard,
Watching for my blunders, book in hand.
Thinking of His love for me seemed just too weird.
Pie-in-the-sky, by-and-by, strike up the band.

God’s love changes even bogus viewpoints,
He just had to break my hardened heart.
Jesus bore God’s love though Roman spear-point
First bore drink, then pierced His loving heart.


In my flesh I don’t belong in heaven, but
It’s the place that God made just for me.
Jesus says I’ll live with Him in heaven.
Hell’s the place for all who will not see.

Certainly, I’m not a great and good guy,
He well knows that my old ways die hard.
Loving God, in Christ, forgave my wrong way.
Now such awesome love I can’t ignore.

He gave all to wash away sin’s leaven,
Purifies my mind from all its harms
Now, in Christ, this new man’s bound for heaven
Where I’ll rest in Jesus’ loving arms.
 

No comments: