"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

I'm a Nitpicker

     Yes, and unapologetically so—at least when it comes to works that claims to be “exact, word-for-word” translations of God’s word. Such claims are rash at least, and possibly unfounded. Fact is, “exact, word-for-word” translations of ancient Hebrew into English are impossible, as the two languages are completely unrelated. Such misrepresentation throws suspicion on the whole work’s integrity.

     Some will wonder what the big deal is.
Well, it's personal. 


Thing is, while I enjoy wearing wool for its warmth and other qualities, I don't enjoying having it pulled over my eyes, especially for important issues such as my health, both physically and spiritually.

     That applies both for Scripture translations and interpretations thereof. They say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I've been fooled in matters of faith, probably, too often to count. And while I have no objective assurance that I'm not currently being fooled, I've learned to be wary of what I hear. That's why I want to know what God is actually telling me, not what somebody says He's telling me. And that's why I try my best to listen to God's Holy Spirit when I study His word.

     After all, God's word isn't ink on paper or print on a computer monitor. It's what God installs in your heart upon diligently reading or hearing, then meditating on the Bible.

No comments: