"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Monday, December 19, 2011

A Hypothetical Question


My grand daughter asked me if I would put gum stuck to a public bench into my mouth for a million dollars. Now, what kind of question is that? Definitely hypothetical, as the odds against actually facing such a decision are astronomical.
I refused to entertain her question because it presented me with a false dilemma, and I don't need meaningless questions complicating my thought-life. But she was truly curious about my answer, so I told her someone would actually present that option to another person only in an attempt to degrade or humiliate them. So, reason number two for refusing to answer her question is the disingenuous motivation of anyone who would pose it for real.

Which brings to mind other hypothetical questions I've heard; atheists' queries about the God they deny exists. For instance, “Could God create a rock so big he couldn't move it?”
Though even attempting to answer such a foolish question goes against my principles, I would probably say, “Why would he do that?” Truth is, besides being an attempt to trap a Christ-follower, the question is based on ignorance and/or misunderstanding of God's attributes. One huge problem with such inquisitors and questions is most people who claim to be Christians can't answer them without falling into their trap.
The moral of this little story is: Dig into God's word and fill your mind with it, if you don't want to appear foolish when answering fools.

A Good One

One hypothetical question that really isn’t hypothetical is, “If you were to get smushed the next time you hit the highway (or a truck, or a bridge abutment) in your car, where would you spend eternity?” Yes, this question includes an “if,” but it only brings into the present a situation we will all face eventually, whether it is in a bloody accident, from a heart attack, or at Christ’s return.
God said in his word, (Heb 9:27 ESV)And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, (28)so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. Anyone who thinks that passage exempts them from facing judgment should think again. Those who are not eagerly waiting for his return will indeed face Christ's judgment.
Procrastinators beware! Unlike some human parents, God never makes false promises. NEVER! And he never gives us a headsup about when our expiration date is coming. I—or you—could face his Judgment Seat in the space of a few missed heartbeats. Is whatever you prize in your life worth risking an eternity of torment? If yes, I have some prime ocean-front real estate in Oklahoma that I can sell you for a song.
Any takers?

No comments: