"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A dog's earnest prayer

            I watched a video, the link to which my sister sent in an e-mail, showing a dog that had been trained to assume a posture of prayer on command before snarfing its meal.
            While it was cute beyond measure, it suggest to me the sincerity, or lack thereof, displayed by the average pew-sitter (including myself at times). That begs the question: If prayer changes things--mostly human hearts--what sort of thoughts pass through people's minds when they pretend to pray, yet continue with their lives unchanged. I know that sounds cynical, even judgmental, but I've been walking with the Lord long enough to well know my own insincerity at times of rebellion, fatigue and depression; the moments when I most need to touch God's heart are when I find it hardest to reach out to Him.
            The ever living God is more polite than one would imagine for an omnipotent super-being. Oh, yes, He can pour out His wrath then those who claim to belong to Him behave unfaithfully or deny Him by their actions. Yet, He is more than willing to forgive such behavior when the transgressor sincerely repents. Praise the eternal, living God for His infinite grace.
            While the praying dog may not know why his master wants him to sit in such a strange position before eating, no one can deny his canine sincerity when performing for a meal. Yes, we can learn a lot from a praying dog.

No comments: