"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Monday, November 16, 2009

It's Not Just Us

Today's Daily Manna from the Net popped into my inbox with a fresh, new rabbit trail for me to chase. In Psalm 61, King David seems to selfishly pray for King David. Yet, in vs. 2 he ... well, read it for yourself:
Psa 61:1-4 NASB For the choir director; on a stringed instrument. A Psalm of David. Hear my cry, O God; Give heed to my prayer. (2) From the end of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. (3) For You have been a refuge for me, A tower of strength against the enemy. (4) Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. Selah.
        Notice how David prays, "From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint." That phrase, "the end of the earth," means, "all the earth," or "everywhere on earth." Even in Young's Literal Translation, the phrase comes across as including all the land, "... From the end of the land unto Thee I call, in the feebleness of my heart ..." David, the most resplendent king up to that time, a warrior of renown, beloved by his people, calls unto God from the end of the earth when his heart is faint ... despite his riches, his security, his fame.         David, in fact, prayed to God not as a lofty king, but as Adam, or fallen Man. Speaking as Man, David prays for God to "Lead me to the rock that is higher than I." In the flesh, in human position of authority, there is no rock higher than King David. Yet, he recognized in this prayer that all men are needy, and that he was the most needy of all.         Young's Literal, probably the most accurate, literal translation available, adds yet another element to David's beautiful prayer of verse 2: "Into a rock higher than I Thou dost lead me." As fallen man, David recognizes God's exclusive role as Guide. No "spirit guides" for David, no sirree! His Guide is God's Spirit, and that's enough for him ... as it is enough for today's fallen human beings, whether we know it or not.         The King's prayer ends in vss. 3 & 4 with a testimony: "For Thou hast been a refuge for me, A tower of strength because of the enemy. I sojourn in Thy tent to the ages, I trust in the secret place of Thy wings. Selah. Does the good King testify from experience? No! He speaks from faith, of a sojourn not yet realized and a promised, secret place for which he trusts implicitly.         In these few verses King David expresses the Problem of fallen humanity, God's Provision for that problem, and the Promise for those accepting God's provision. Beautifully said, King David.         My question is, however, what am I ... what are you doing with God's faithful promise to Adam through King David? Are we secure in that highest of Rocks, the Rock of our faith, Yeshua the anointed One? Or do we whine over our terrible weaknesses that prevent any victorious living? According to King David, God's promises ... all God's promises are ours through faith. And to finish it off, the apostle Paul wrote in his second letter to the Corinthian church:
As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been Yes and No. For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus and Timothy and I, was not Yes and No, but in him it is always Yes. For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee. (2Co 1:18-22)

No comments: