"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Monday, May 15, 2006

The Most Clever People

      Addiction can be so seductive that the addict actually thinks he's right in his dependency. I was well on my way to alcoholism back in the early '70s, but God stepped in to prevent it. And I'm so glad he did! Usually alcohol serves to numb unmet needs, but it never, ever satisfies them. If anything, it just exacerbates them. I know that was the case for me.
      Some religious people say alcohol is demonic, but I refuse to give it that much credit. It's just a chemical that kills enough brain cells to make you remarkably stupid. That said, I have to admit that Satan can use it powerfully for his nefarious ends.
      Probably my least favorite job, but most interesting as a human behavior study, was my years spent as a small-town taxi driver. The most clever people I transported were drunks. Their little head-games kept me guessing, taking valuable time away from other passengers with genuine needs. Of course that fact was completely lost on those perfectly self-centered dolts.
      That exposure to pure, alcoholic genius would have convinced me not to touch the sauce, if God hadn't already taken care of it.

No comments: