"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Memory--Bits and Pieces

      Toni Morrison's comparison of water's memory to a writer's memory caused me to look back in my own life and ask, "What do I see in my past worth recalling on paper?" I see only the product of an efficient shredder; disjointed bits and that spell nothing memorable.
      Would that I had been given such a gift of memory. Every life is rich with experience--passing time has that effect--but much of mine is lost in a foggy dusk.
      I long to express myself with words, vibrant and precise. What am I to express, however, but thoughts birthed only today?
      Yet I write transient bits and pieces out of compulsion, because writing is what I do.

No comments: