"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

COME!

A man I met the other day, who stopped for just a chat, Had nothing in his look or style to make me doff my hat.

But when he held me in his gaze, those eyes! oh yes those eyes Displayed a world of deepest love that took me by surprise.

And in them I saw agony, of scope I cannot fathom. Pain there was in cosmic scale from voluntary passion.

How could he have smiled such a smile of joy contagious, A smile of perfect openness that, from man, seemed outrageous.

I tried to ask him who he was, the words stuck in my throat. His whole face beamed with glory bright, and laughter without gloat.

He turned as if to go his way but I said, “Sir, please wait.” He turned his head to take me in, and said, “Can you set bait?”

He saw my puzzled face gaze back, and then he smiled again. “A fisherman are you my friend, come, and you’ll fish men.”

This man of love and pain and joy, whose smile intoxicated; Could it be this was for me the work I’d long awaited?

“Sir, I need more time, you see, my family’s still living.” His fading smile broke my heart, for mean excuses giving.

“You must want to turn away from human loyalties’ binding, For your future lies with me, and sinners we’ll be finding.”

What could I say to this man who would love me to the death? I said, “Yes, Lord, I’ll follow you, fishing men till my last breath.”

No comments: