"So," they say, "nobody's perfect!"
But the Vinedresser won't buy that.
Given the opportunity, He will trim the unproductive suckers and shape the branches so each one will bask in Sonlight.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Love Prayer

And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:8) It's hard to establish a priority higher than "above all things." Yet, God's Holy Spirit moved His Rock to set that priority on the hardest thing for us flawed humans to give. For years I've known to ask God's intervention in my life so I might love others perfectly, as He does. Yet, honoring Him with my obedience has always been a problem. Recently He showed me that loving others perfectly, as He does, requires that I love Him perfectly. But such love is beyond me. One consistency throughout my flawed, human experience is God's faithfulness in granting my requests to love others beyond my personal ability. It works! When I pray for love to give, it's there. But I still had trouble loving God enough to obey Him in all things. What frustration! But the answer to my quandary was right in front of me all along. If God grants my petitions for greater "horizontal" love, wouldn't He happily give me greater love for Himself when I request it? He would, and He does! Now my responsibility is just to keep bugging Him about it with consistent prayer. This is the hugest "DUH" in the world, a total no-brainer. Then why is it so hard to do? My flesh fights my prayer life, as one would expect. Now, God is gracious and forgiving, isn't He? He, more than anyone, understands our human weaknesses, doesn't He? Surely He doesn't expect us to toe the holiness line, does He? Aren't those thoughts comforting, though? Unfortunately for the rationalist in me, His word expressly tells us to be holy as He is holy. So that inner conflict,so typical of us flawed humans, in no way diminishes my responsibility to walk in the light He has provided. In view of His righteous command, my response must be, "Enough B.S. excuses! Just do it!" And by His grace, I will.

No comments: